Skip to main content

Build Wine rpm with 32 bit application support

Wine is a software to allow running Windows applications in Linux, MAC etc. platforms. It is available for installation from package managers like yum (RHEL, CentOS) and apt (Ubuntu). You can find more details on how it works in Wine wiki . But the default Wine package available from package manager does not have support for 32 bit Windows applications. This was the case for me. In Redhat Enterprise Linux 7.3, the wine package did not contain support for 32 bit windows applications. So the only option was to build a separate rpm of wine which will include this support. All the steps are executed on a RHEL 7.3 VM (x86_64). Step 1 Download and run shell script which will make wine 64 and 32 support for RHEL: https://github.com/zma/usefulscripts/blob/master/script/install-wine-i686-centos7.sh It accepts a version no. as CLI parameter e.g. 2.0.3 The script installs wine in /usr/local/ directory by default. We can verify the files that are being copied for wine using "

Starting up

This is the first blog I'm creating and this is the first post. Feeling a bit nervy. Though its a great experience to write a blog. Initially I felt its not my stuff. But I follow other blogs and really like the whole idea of blogging.  Still somehow it took a long time for me to start on this space.  As they say, it is never late to start something new, I have started blogging.


This blog will be about tech topics that I occurs to me. I'll share my new ideas and hacks. Sometimes I may try to explain some common technology concepts in my own way. I do hope that it becomes useful for somebody.

Comments